My rating: 3,8/5
- Genre: Romance, Comedy
- Episodes: 25
- Year: 2009
- Related TV Series: Meteor Garden, Hana Yori Dango, Liu Xing Yu
- Koo Hye Sun as Geum Jan Di
- Lee Min Ho as Goo Joon Pyo
- Kim Hyun Joong as Yoon Ji Hoo
- Nam Da Reum as child Ji Hoo
- Kim Bum as So Yi Jung
- Jung Tae Ho as child Yi Jung
- Kim Joon as Song Woo Bin
- Kim So Eun as Chu Ga Eul (Jan Di’s best friend)
Boys over flowers created a stir but i honestly, didn’t like it very much. Two times have i tried watching it but never could see it through. These high school, flower boys, bullying themed dramas are not my type. I mean, it had almost everything i dislike: rich, spoiled brats that bully others for no reason, excessive wealth and power show off, crazy moms that spy on every move of their children and run their lives as if they were puppets and torment every single person that gets into their lives but don’t meet the criteria. I couldn’t see any deep meaning to it and it had many kdrama stereotypes: the rich bad guy falls in love with the sweet and good but poor girl, the evil mom harases the poor girl, her family and friends, the guy is forced into an arranged marriage for the sake of the family’s wealth, we also have some memory loss, love triangles etc.
So, the story goes like this: we have the prestigious Shin Hwa High school meant only for the wealthiest, a school that was like hell for the commoners who got there through scholarship. The reason for their misfortune is F4, a gang of four rich, handsome and arrogant guys that took upon themselves to clean up the school from these poor commoners, so they were bullying them through any means possible to make them quit.One of this unfortunate boys gets beaten and really mistreated by F4 and goes to the school’s roof to commit suicide, but he’s saved by Geum Jan Di who was there to run an errand for her parent’s dry cleaning store. As a reward, she’s admitted to Shin Hwa High school and without any intention, she gets really “popular” when she becomes Goo Joon Pyo’s (F4’s leader) next target.
She’s had to endure many misfortunes because of him only to find out later that he actually likes her. Now the reason for her bullying is not pissing off F4’s leader anymore, but actually the fact that she rejected him and that she likes someone else instead.
The lead actress, at least in my opinion, did a very poor job, and i don’t know if it’s only her fault or the character’s too. I only remember her extremly weird grimaces and her superficial acting. I think everyone else did a better job than her or at least, everyone else’s character was better shaped. No offence to her fans (i admit she did better in Blood though).
The boys in F4 did pretty well, especially Lee Min Ho. I’m not his fan, but he was humorous and the character seemed to fit him well. Although his character, Goo Joon Pyo, was quite annoying with all his stupid bullying, i must admit he had his qualities too, like his self-imposed rule to not bully girls (which he breaks in Geum Jan Di’s case, unfortunately) and his genuine feelings for Jan Di. Also, i could mention the changes he goes through just to satisfy her and to get closer to her.
He stands firm in his love for her and tries everything to get with her, changing himself in the process and also, i appreciated his loyalty and dedication to the relationship, despite his mother’s interventions.
There were enough scenes to laugh at, some really hilarious, but we must keep in mind that the rich ones can afford anything…(except common sense i would say). The settings, as you might imagine, were quite exquisite taking into account the high class characters and their lifestyle. Also, we have some pretty boys, some of them quite handsome, some good music and princess treatment for the girl when she becomes the “king’s” beloved one (and worst treatment when she upsets him, but he would make up for it everytime).
Well, i don’t know what else i could say about this drama… It’s still very popular, but not my type, so you should try it if you are into rich flower boys.
My personal ratings:
- Cast: 3/5
- Characters: 3/5
- Love story: 4/5
- Atmosphere: 4/5
- Plot: 3,9/5
- OST: 5/5
- Drama overall: 3,8/5
Boys over flowers trailer & funny moments
- 2009 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Novella Drama – Actress (Koo Hye Sun)
- 2009 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actor Award (Lee Min Ho)
- 2009 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actress Award (Kim So Eun)
- 2009 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award (Lee Min Ho and Koo Hye Sun)
- 2009 KBS Drama Awards: Netizen Award (Koo Hye Sun)
- 2009 2nd Korea Junior Star Awards: TV Drama Newcomer Award (Kim Hyun Joong)
- 2009 11th Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best OST – “Because I’m Stupid” (Boys Before Flowers OST) by SS501
- 2009 Seoul International Drama Awards: Most Popular Drama Award
- 2009 Seoul International Drama Awards: Most Popular Actor Award (Kim Hyun Joong)
- 2009 45th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best New Actor Award (Lee Min Ho)
- 2009 45th Baeksang Arts Awards: Popularity Award (Kim Hyun Joong)